Project Assistant Needed!
The Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights (MCCHR) a.k.a Pusat Rakyat LoyarBurok is a community-based organisation based in Kuala Lumpur. Established in March 2011, its mission is to promote and protect human rights in Malaysia in accordance with established international human rights standards and principles.
MCCHR carries out a number of projects. Under its strategic litigation component, it files a number of test cases/appeals against Court decisions to effect changes in human rights; and organises training for lawyers and law students. Its civic education component, UndiMsia! is the first-of-its-kind civic education project in Malaysia with the aim to increase ownership and strengthen effective participation of Malaysian youth in the democratic process. In recent years, MCCHR has expanded its focus to also include law and policy reform work, through its strategic legislative advocacy program.
MCCHR is looking for a Project Assistant to assist in carrying out its activities.
Job Title : Project Assistant
Start date : 5th October 2020
Duration : 1 year with the possibility of extension
Employment type : Full-time
Duty station : Pusat Rakyat LoyarBurok, Jalan Pantai Baharu, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Supervisor : Project Officer
Gross Salary : RM2,300-RM2,600/month depending on experience
Deadline for application : 21st September 2020
To provide technical, administrative and logistical support in the implementation of MCCHR’s projects.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)/ Project Officer, the Project Assistant performs the following responsibilities:
- Provide support to the CEO/ Project Officer in the implementation of their tasks for the achievement of project results;
- Organise, coordinate and facilitate meetings, UndiMsiaChats! and other events/functions related to the project activities;
- Manage the MCCHR Resource Centre;
- Maintain and upload reports and notice of events on the blog and social media platforms;
- Update and mobilise volunteers on project activities and events;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of project activities;
- Assist the CEO/ Project Officer to draft periodic reports and project proposals;
- Assist in drafting meeting minutes and field reports;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters such as registry and maintenance of project files, records, database of volunteers, and archive of media reports;
- Assist in monitoring budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Assist in preparing proposals for budget revisions and periodical budget reports as required for budget preparations, reporting and audit;
- Assist on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Good knowledge and understanding of project organisation with a focus on impact and results;
- Ability to implement, monitor and evaluate the development of projects and its activities;
- Ability to build good relationships with civil society organisations, youths and other stakeholders;
- Ability to monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of related documents;;
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills including the ability to convey concepts both orally and in writing, in a clear and concise style;
- Team-oriented, possesses a positive and constructive attitude and works well with others;
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimum supervision but at the same time commitment to team building;
- Demonstrates commitment to the MCCHR’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disabilities sensitivity and adaptability;
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Ability to inspire and work with youths from diverse cultural and social backgrounds;
- Ability to travel to locations in Malaysia.
- University degree, with a keen interest in social/political sciences, law or other related field. Good knowledge in human rights is an advantage;
- At least two years of experience in administrative work, public administrative or other substantive area is required;
- Previous experience in developmental assistance or related work for a donor organisation, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector is desirable;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Fluency in both oral and written Bahasa Melayu and English is essential.
You are kindly requested to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected] by 21st September 2020. Please indicate the title of the post in your cover letter and email subject line. Only candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements for the mentioned position will be called for an interview.