Live Coverage: International Malaysia Law Conference 2012 (Day 3)
Follow exclusive live tweet-coverage of Day 3 of the International Malaysia Law Conference 2012.
A brief itinerary for the day is set out below the window.
Here’s what’s lined up:
9.00 — 10.15 am: “Market liberalisation of legal services in Asia: A tsunami confronting lawyers or a world of opportunity?” Speakers are Chew Seng Kok (ZICOlaw Singapore), Masaakira Kitazawa (Anderson Mori & Tomotsune, Japan), Jimmy Yim SC (Drew & Napier LLC, Singapore), and Stuart Fuller (King & Wood Mallesons, Hong Kong). Moderated by Christopher Leong (Chooi & Co).
10.15 — 10.45 am: Coffee break with exhibitors
10.45 am — 12.00 pm: First breakout sessions, in 3 streams:
- Law & Society: Human rights: Do businesses have roles and obligations as corporate citizens? Speakers are Nahendran Navaratnam (Kadir Andri & Partners) and David Watkins (Slaughter & May, Hong Kong). Academic paper by Dr Tan Seng Teck (Taylor’s University). Moderated by Khairil Azmi b Haji Mohamad Hasbie (Advocates’ Association of Sarawak).
- Law Practice Management: How small- and medium-sized firms can accelerate their profits and how group practice can benefit small- and medium-sized firms. Speakers are Ian R Homer (ActionCOACH), Mark Goh Aik Leng (Mark Goh & Co, Singapore), and Matthew Thomas Philip (Thomas Philip). Moderated by George Varughese (George Varughese).
- Arbitration: Asia’s contribution to international commercial arbitration: The tools and skills. Speakers are John Tackaberry QC (39 Essex Street Chambers and Arbitration Chambers), Azimeer Manaf (KLRCA), K Shanti Mogan (Shearn Delamore), and Rashda Rana (Wentworth Chambers, Australia). Moderated by Sitpah Selvaratnam (Tommy Thomas).
12.00 — 2.00 pm: Networking Lunch.
2.00 — 2.30 pm: “Defending every man, woman and child under the rule of law”. Inspired by Karen I Tse (International Bridges to Justice). Moderated by Dato’ Ambiga Sreenavasan (Sreenavasan).
2.30 — 3.45 pm: “The independence of the Attorney General and the public interest”. Speakers are Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail (AG Malaysia), Kevin P Zervos (DPP, Hong Kong), and Bala Reddy (Chief Prosecutor, Projects, Singapore). Moderated by Steven Thiru (Shook Lin & Bok).
3.45 — 4.15 pm: Coffee break with exhibitors.
4.15 — 5.30 pm: Second breakout sessions, in 3 streams:
- Law & Society: What maketh a judge? Speakers are Judge Nico Tujin (Netherlands) and Dato’ Haji Sulaiman b Abdullah (Sulaiman). Academic paper by Mark Goh (HELP University). Moderated by Dato’ Mohamad Ariff b Md Yusof (High Court Judge).
- Compliance: Primary and secondary listings of foreign corporations and foreign securities on stock exchanges in the East Asian region. Speakers are Voon Keat Lai (Stephenson Harwood, Hong Kong), Selvarany Rasiah (Bursa Malaysia Berhad), and Jeff Leong Pak Lim (Jeff Leong, Poon & Wong). Moderated by Cynthia Toh (Wong Beh & Toh).
- Arbitration: Statutory adjudication: Boon or burden for litigants? Speakers are Lim Chong Fong (Azman Davidson & Co), Robert Fenwick Elliott (Fenwick Elliott Grace, Australia), Alan Steward (Sweett Resolution, UK), and IR Harbans Singh KS (Adjudication Society and the Association of Independent Construction Adjudications). Moderated by Datuk Sundra Rajoo (KLRCA).
5.45 — 6.30 pm: Closing remarks by Tun Ariffin Zakaria (Chief Justice of Malaysia).
6.30 — 7.30pm: Closing remarks by Lim Chee Wee (Skrine).
7.30 — midnight: Celebration dinner at Renaissance Hotel KL.
Tags: IMLC, IMLC2012, International Malaysia Law Conference, International Malaysia Law Conference 2012
The collective persona of Lord Bobo's minions (yes, all the cheeky monkeys and monkettes). Haven't you heard? LoyarBurokking is a lifestyle. Join us, and your life will never be the same again. Because it's fun.
Posted on 27 September 2012.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0.
Read more articles posted by LoyarBurokkers.