Live Coverage: International Malaysia Law Conference 2012 (Day 2)
Follow exclusive live tweet-coverage of Day 2 of the International Malaysia Law Conference 2012.
A brief itinerary for the day is set out below the window.
Here’s what’s lined up:
9.00 — 10.15 am: “Asian landscape: What’s next?” Speakers are Dato’ Sri Nazir Razak (CIMB Group), Tommy Thomas (Tommy Thomas), and Professor Edmund Terence Gomez (UM). Moderated by Datuk Dr Cyrus Das (Shook Lin & Bok).
10.15 — 10.35 am: Coffee break with exhibitors
10.35 — 11.50 am: First breakout sessions, in 4 streams:
- Oil & Gas: ASEAN-China Guidelines for Co-operation in the South China Sea: Can the guidelines effectively solve boundary disputes in the South China Sea? Speakers are Maria Antonina M Mendoza-Oblena (Phillippine Embassy) and Leonardo Bernard (NUS). Moderated by Faizah Jamaludin (Skrine).
- Intellectual Property: Intellectual Property trends, issues and challenges of the 21st century. Speakers are Audrey Yap Su Ming (Yusam Audrey, Singapore), Linda Wang (Tay & Partners), and Professor David Llewelyn (Singapore Management University, King’s College London).
- HR & Employment: The relevance of trade unions in the business sector today. Speakers are Bartlomiej Raczkowski (Raczkowski Wspolnicy, Poland), A Navamukundan (National Union of Plantation Workers), Dr Nagiah Ramasamy (Sunway University Business School), and Nantha Balan ES Moorthy (Zul Rafique & Partners). Moderated by Selvamalar Alagaratnam (Skrine).
- (10.35 — 12.15 pm) National Young Lawyers Forum: Social media: Guilty! For updating your Facebook status and tweeting! Speakers are Edmund Bon Tai Soon (Chooi & Co, and LoyarBurokker!), Azhar b Azizan @ Harun (Art Harun) (Hisham Sobri & Kadir), Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir (Writer, Women’s Rights and HIV/AIDS Activist, and TV producer). Moderated by Lee Shih (Skrine, and LoyarBurokker!).
12.00 — 1.15 pm: Second breakout sessions, in 3 streams:
- Oil & Gas: Production Sharing Contracts in the Malaysian petroleum industry: A Petronas perspective. Speaker is Nooruddin Abdullah (Petronas).
- Corporate Counsel: The role of General Counsel in the global economy. Speakers are Henry Leong (GE Water & Process Technologies), Mohamed Nasri Sallehuddin (Khazanah Nasional Bhd), and Firdous Jan Mohamed (Schlumberger). Moderated by Stephen Malloy (ZICOlaw).
- Compliance: Competition law in the Asia Pacific region: Malaysia, Australia, and beyond. Speaker is Ragunath Kesavan (MyCC). Guest appearance by Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri b Yaakob (Minister of Domestic Trade, Co-operatives and Consumerism). Moderated by Shila Dorai Raj (MyCC).
1.15 — 2.15 pm: Networking Lunch
2.15 — 3.00 pm: “Malaysia’s Government and Economic Transformation Programme: A journey towards high income”. Speaker is Dato’ Sri Idris Jala (Pemandu). Moderated by Tony Woon Yeow Thong (Woon & Co.).
3.15 — 4.30 pm: Third breakout sessions, in 3 streams:
- Law & Society: Freedom of the press. Speakers are Masjaliza Hamzah (CIJ) and Malik Imtiaz Sarwar (Malik Imtiaz Sarwar). Moderated by Jacqueline Ann Surin (The Nut Graph).
- Corporate Counsel: The many facets of an in-house counsel’s role — Compliance and internal controls included? Speakers are Wan Kwong Weng (Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd) and Syed Naqiz Shahabuddin (Naqiz & Partners). Moderated by Eric Pereira (Sweet & Maxwell Asia / Thomson Reuters).
- Arbitration: International Commercial Arbitration: Perspectives from the four corners of the globe. Speakers are Yang Ing Loong (Sidley-Austin, Hong Kong), Chan Leng Sun SC (Baker & Mckenzie, Wong & Leow, Singapore), and Ng Jern-Fei (Essex Court Chambers, UK). Moderated by Dato’ WSW Davidson (Azman Davidson & Co).
4.30 — 5.00 pm: Coffee break with exhibitors.
5.00 — 6.15 pm: Fourth breakout sessions, in 3 streams:
- Law & Society: Can Australia serve as a positive role model for combating terrorism while upholding human rights? Speakers are Bret Walker SC (Independent National Security Legislation Monitor, Australia) and Phil Robertson (Human Rights Watch). Moderated by Andrew Khoo Chin Hock (Andrew Khoo & Daniel Lo).
- Law Practice Management: Legal services: The evolving legal landscape. Speakers are Matt Kesner (Fenwick & West LLP, USA) and Wong Meng Meng SC (The Law Society of Singapore). Moderated by Gaythri Raman (LexisNexis, and LoyarBurokker!).
- Compliance: Challenges in legal compliance: Managing an investigation. Speakers are Anand Raj (Shearn Delamore), Domingo Castillo (SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan, Phillippines), and Shamsuflan Shamsuddin (SC). Moderated by Roger Chin (Sabah Law Association).
6.30 — 7.30 pm: 2nd Raja Aziz Addruse Memorial Lecture: “Counter-Terrorism, Human Rights and the Rule of Law — The UN Perspective” by Ben Emmerson QC (Matrix Chambers, UK; UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and Counter-Terrorism). Moderated by Dato’ Param Cumuraswamy (Param Cumaraswamy).
7.30 — 10.00 pm: Fundamental Freedoms Fringe Fest.