The Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights (MCCHR) a.k.a Pusat Rakyat LoyarBurok is a community-based organisation based in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur. Established in March 2011, its mission is to promote and protect human rights in Malaysia in accordance with established international human rights principles, treaties and law.
The MCCHR carries out a number of projects – under its strategic litigation component, it has filed a number of test cases/appeals against Court decisions to effect public interest policies and legal changes in the areas of gender equality, freedom of expression, freedom of religion and preventive detention laws. It has also implemented the first-of-its-kind voter/citizen education project called UndiMsia! (undimsia.com). In addition, it runs a popular blog (loyarburok.com) to encourage and promote free flow of information on various human rights issues.
The MCCHR is looking for an Administrative Assistant to assist the MCCHR in carrying out its activities.
Position: Administrative Assistant
Start date: 2 September 2013
Duration: 1 year with the possibility of an extension
Employment type: Part-time
Duty station: Pusat Rakyat LoyarBurok, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur
Gross salary: RM1000/month
Deadline for application: 9 August 2013
Objectives: Provide support and assistance in various aspects of administrative and financial management of the MCCHR’s projects.
Key responsibilities: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Administrative Assistant performs the following responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the MCCHR in all areas of work, including but not limited to photocopying, faxing, mailing, and filing;
- Manage staff time sheet, sorting and printing payroll;
- Make travel and logistics arrangement for staff, volunteers and visiting delegates;
- Organise and coordinate administrative arrangements for meetings, conferences and workshops;
- Prepare meeting agenda and take minutes of meetings;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Provide assistance and support staff of the MCCHR in the area of budgeting, tracking and following-up on expenditures and availability of funds, processing claims and arranging petty cash;
- Assist in maintaining the financial records of the MCCHR, including prepare invoices, payment vouchers, receipts, consignment notes, stock balance record, cash flow records/ book-keeping;
- Arrange for the procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the project;
- Maintain an equipment inventory including verification and transfer when required.
- Good records management skills;
- Good knowledge on book-keeping;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Good communications (spoken and written) skills;
- Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimum supervision but at the same time commitment to team building;
- Demonstrates commitment to the MCCHR’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disabilities sensitivity and adaptability;
- Shares knowledge and experience; and
- Ability to travel to locations in Malaysia
Education: Completion of SPM at a minimum.
Experience: At least one year of experience in administrative work is required. Good knowledge of basic accounting is desirable.
Language requirements: Fluency in both oral and written Bahasa Melayu and English is essential.
You are kindly requested to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to [email protected] by the stipulated deadline. Please indicate the title of the post in your cover letter and email subject line.
Only candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements for the mentioned position will be called for an interview.
The MCCHR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.