26 October 2011
We would like to extend an invitation to you to attend and participate with exhibitions/booths in Pesta PoAM (Plan of Action 4 Malaysia): “From Discord to Harmony”.
For many within and outside Malaysia, our cultural diversity is mistakenly seen as a source of social discord and a threat to political stability. We take a completely different view – diversity is like different keys in music, without which we will find ourselves monotonous and dull. As a matter of fact, orchestras are embodiment of diversity in sounds and tunes. Hence, harmony arises from diversity whereas discord happens when diversity is suppressed, manipulated or simply misunderstood. Likewise, Malaysia can draw strength from her population rich in ethnicity, faith, culture, language, ideology and lifestyle. Such diversity becomes a threat only when violence and coercion become the rules of the game.
As long as everyone is committed to peaceful co-existence and resolution of conflict, Malaysia can smoothly embrace political, socio-economical and technological transformations, and benefit from both external and internal competition of ideas and initiatives.In this context, a group of civil society organisations representing various interests and sectors, have come together to form the “Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia” (GBM for short or in English Gabungan Plan of Action for Malaysia (PoAM).
The goal of the GBM is to formulate and advocate a Plan of Action to help Malaysia manage the requisite transition and transformation and to embrace diversity for a better Malaysia.To symbolise this initiative, a fiesta themed ‘Pesta PoAM – From Discord to Harmony’ will be held showcasing activities by civil society organisations including launch of GBM Charter, a talk show by prominent social activists, film shows, performances, booths and exhibitions.
Event details are as follows:
Date: 13 November, 2011 (Sunday)
Time: 10.00am to 5.00pm
Venue: Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall,
No. 1, Jalan Maharajalela, 50150 Kuala Lumpur.
We would like to cordially invite you to attend and showcasing your organisation at this auspicious event. We would also appreciate if you could extend this invitation to your networks of friends to attend his event.
For further information, please contact: Ms Lim, Programme Assistant, PoAM Secretariat - Tel: 03-2272 3594/012 320 6959, Email:[email protected]
Please also find in this letter the Pesta Program for your information and the Booth/Exhibition Confirmation Form if you are interested to set up a booth/exhibition at a nominal administrative charge of only RM20/=.
Please send back your Booth/Exhibition Confirmation Form to the Secretariat on/before 7 November, 2011. Note that booth availability is on first-come-first-serve basis.
Thank you. Looking forward to meeting you at Pesta PoAM!
Tan Yew Sing, President of KL & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) and Zaid Kamaruddin, President of Jamaah Islah Malaysia (JIM)
Presently GBM comprises of 19 partner organisations: Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH); Aliran; Tamil Foundation; Pertubuhan Jamaah Islah Malaysia (JIM); Majlis Perundingan Malaysia Agama Buddha; Krisitian; Hindu; Sikh dan Tao (MPMAM); Negeri Sembilan Chinese Assembly Hall (NSCAH); Penang Chinese Town Hall (PGCTH); The Federation of Chinese Associations Johore State (FCAJ); Lim Lian Geok Cultural Development Centre (LLG); United Chinese School Alumni Association of Malaysia (UCSAAM); Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF); Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM); Pusat Komunikasi Masyarakat (KOMAS); Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM); Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas); Centre of Policy Initiative (CPI); National Interlok Action Team (NIAT); People’s Green Coalition (PGC); Anak Muda Sarawak (AMS).
Pesta PoAM: From Discord to Harmony, by Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia
13 November 2011, (Sunday) 10am-5pm, No.1 Jalan Maharajalela, KLSCAH Hall, 50150 Kuala Lumpur.
10.00am : Arrival of Guests/Exhibition
11.00am- 12.00pm: 1) Welcome Speech by Co-chairs: Mr. Tan Yew Sing, President, KLSCAH
2) Launch of Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia Charter
3) Speech by Co-chairs: Encik Zaid Kamaruddin, President, JIM
12.00pm – 1.30pm : Talk Show “From Discord to Harmony” covering politics, religion, economic inequality, education and regional imbalance of Sabah & Sarawak
Panel of Speakers : Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan (TBC), Encik Fahmi Reza, Cik Jannie Lasimbang (TBC), Dato’ Hj Thasleem Mohamed Ibrahim Al-Haj, Dato’ Dr. Toh Kin Woon
Moderator: Encik Hishamuddin Rais
1.30pm – 2.30pm : Performances
2.00pm – 4.00pm : Film Shows
5.00pm : Closing
Pesta PoAM: From Discord to Harmony
If you would like to take up a booth (table) or a few booths during Pesta PoAM, please read the instructions and provide your details as per the instructions below and send it back to us on/before 07/11/11 (Monday):
Below are the guidelines for the booth/exhibition:
1) We will provide 1 table with the size of 6’ x 2’ or 4’ x 2’ and 2 chairs. Bring your own table cloth if necessary.
2) Cost per table is RM20.00 only. You may make payment to the Secretariat on the event day. However, a no-show charge of RM30.00 shall be levied if you fail to turn up on the event date.
3) Booth will be confirmed with booth number allocated once the Secretariat has received the Booth/Exhibition Confirmation Form.
4) A soft display board with the size of 8’x4’ will be allocated to two booths operators sharing the back and the front. Please bring your own mounting devices including strings, big-sized pins and any other necessary materials to mount your pictures/posters.
5) Please display your posters, pictures along the theme, “discord and harmony” as far as possible. You may also promote and sell your T-shirts, crafts and other relevant items in this event.
6) Food/drink Booths: only 6 booths are allocated for NGOs who wish to sell packed lunch (no cooking on that day), snacks, and drinks.
7) The booth/exhibition is strictly for NGOs and not for commercial organisations.
8) Booth/Display board for exhibition is on first-come-first-serve basis.
9) Please contact the Secretariat if you have further enquiry or requirement pertaining to booth/exhibition.
10) Booth set up date/time is on 12 November, 2011 (Sat) from 12.00pm – 6.00pm.
11) The Pesta-PoAM Organising Committee reserves the right to alter the booth/exhibition arrangements with prior notification to the booth operators.
Coordinators of Pesta-PoAM Organising Committee,
Julie Wong & Liau Kok Fah
Booth/Exhibition Confirmation Form
We would like to confirm our participation at the Pesta PoAM with booth/exhibition on the 13 October, 2011 (Sunday), 10am – 5.00pm at Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, No 1, Jalan Maharajalela, 50150 Kuala Lumpur.
1. Name of Organisation
4. Mobile No.
8. Quantity of Booth confirmed @RM20.00 per booth
9. Quantity of Food/Drinks booth confirmed @RM20.00 per booth
10. Display Board required Yes/No
11. Total Cost: RM ____
For Official Use
1. Date Received
2. Booth/s required
3. Booth No.
4. Payment received
5. Receipt No.
6. Handled by